The Sales Engineer’s primary function is to provide technical expertise during sales opportunities to ascertain the prospect’s requirements and develop a proposed solution that satisfies the prospect’s technical, business, and budget requirements adequately. Responsibilities include maintaining extensive knowledge of the products’ parts, functions, and processes and assisting in closing sales where technical expertise may be required to fit the clients’ needs. Complaint handling is a critical part of this position. Turning a frustrated customer into a happy customer, while adhering to company policies, requires a combination of empathy and tact.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves customers by identifying their needs and engineering adaptations of products, and services.
- Identifies current and future customer service requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual customers and others in a position to understand service requirements.
- Provides product, service, or technical and engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Establishes new accounts and services accounts by identifying potential customers and planning and organizing sales call schedules.
- Prepares cost estimates by studying all related customer documents, consulting with engineers, and other contributing personnel.
- Determines improvements by analyzing cost-benefit ratios of equipment, supplies, or service applications in the customer environment and engineering or proposing changes in equipment, processes, or use of materials or services.
- Gains customer acceptance by explaining or demonstrating cost reductions and operations improvements.
- Submits orders by conferring with technical support staff and costing engineering changes.
- Develops the customer’s staff by providing technical information and training.
- Complies with state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, and anticipating future legislation.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Marketing, Business Administration, or related field.
- Experience in sales and the technology field.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, customer service, and sales skills.
- The ability to relate technical information to non-technical customers.
- Excellent technical and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of customer and market dynamics and requirements.
- Ability to perform under pressure and address complaints in a timely manner.
- Excellent presentation, proposal writing, and verbal communication skills.
- High energy, motivation, and enthusiasm; a hard worker and rapidly responsive communicator; personable and team-oriented.
- Must be a strong communicator, both verbally and in written form.